Your Ultimate Moving Checklist
A Moving Checklist well prepared in advance will eliminate a lot of stress. Prepare a moving checklist as soon as you know when you will be moving. Once you've made your checklist be sure to follow it and make sure it includes a packing schedule, pre-moving tasks and moving day tasks.
5 Weeks Before Your Move
- Choose us as your moving company. Call us for an estimate and to make your booking.
- Hold a Garage Sale.
- Make a list of unwanted goods for your garage sale.
- Prepare an area to hold all unwanted items.
- Start a central file for your move documents.
- Unwanted clothing, books, kitchen ware can be good for a garage sale.
4 Weeks Before Your Move
- Complete a change of address form from the Post Office.
- Enlist the help of reliable friends and/or relatives.
- If you are moving a piano, please let us know. Make sure you have your piano tuned by a professional after the move.
- If you are moving from or into an apartment building, please reserve the elevator for your moving day.
- If you have items you do not want to dispose of, organize a garage sale or bring your items to your local goodwill depot.
- Obtain medical records, dental records and prescription information.
- Obtain school records.
- Start collecting newspapers and boxes for packing.
- Start packing items that will not be used before the move.
2 Weeks Before Your Move
- Establish cut off dates for phone, electricity, gas and water.
- Have one more Garage Sale!
- Keep packing items you no longer need before the move.
- Moving can be very traumatic for pets; make travel arrangements for your pets or arrange to have someone look after them from the day before the move to the day after.
- Organise child care for the day of the move if necessary.
- Start using any frozen food and perishable goods.
- Take pictures or videos of your belongings and record serial numbers of important items.
The week of the move
- Empty fuel from mowers, clippers, trimmers, gas cylinders and so on.
- Get rid of flammables like paint, petrol, used paint brushes, etc.
- Packing should be done with the exception of essential items.
- Return library books or rented movies.
- Start running down freezer stock.
- Use or dispose of any food items you will not be taking with you.
The day before the move
- Defrost your freezer, empty and clean out your refrigerator.
- Do your last load of laundry.
- Make sure you have a good night sleep before the move.
- Make sure you have your important documents and phone number with you.
- Make sure you have sheets and pillowcases for your first night sleep at your new home!
- Pack the essentials for when you arrive at your new home. Essentials include: cups, cutlery, food and snacks, garbage bags, paper plates, towels, soap, toilet paper, etc.
- Be sure to drop off keys belonging to the real estate agent or landlord.
- Check the post office mailbox one last time.
- Check to make sure no items are left behind outside your home. This include your clothing line, garbage bins, etc.
- Check to make sure no items are left behind inside your home. This include your cupboards,bathroom cabinets, garage, etc.
- Make sure the electricity, gas and water meters have been read.
- Make sure the telephone and TV cable and Internet services have been disconnected.
- Make sure all water taps are turned off tightly including the ones outside.
- Make sure you have your keys for your new home are with you.
- Make sure you have your medication with you.
- Put out the garbage and recycling bins if applicable.
- Take time to say Goodbye to your old home and your friendly neighbours!
After the Move
- Welcome Home!
- Make sure you unpack your belongings as soon as possible so you can feel at home again.
- Make sure you contact your moving company to say "Thank You" for making your move a pleasant experience.
- Now, it's time to celebrate - so have a house warming party!